The Unsightly Side Effects of Mold and Mildew in the Home

The Unsightly Side Effects of Mold and Mildew in the Home

If there are mold or mold spores in the home, they can significantly reduce the air quality in the home. It can also cause unsightly stains and unpleasant odors in the home as well. Today we will take a closer look at these and other issues that mold and mildew can cause in the home.

Who Is At Risk?

If you or anyone in your household is sensitive to mold, then inhaling the mold spores and touching them can cause some serious allergic reactions that include sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and a skin rash. More severe allergies can result in shortness of breath and asthma attacks.

Infants and children, the elderly, those with compromised immune systems, and people with chronic lung disease are much more sensitive to mold and mildew in the home.

Where Does Mold Grow?

The walls in the home, appliances, carpet, and furniture are just a few areas that can grow mold in the home. Mold needs moisture to grow and thrive so you may find it in areas like the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room. Since they can't grow without moisture, then you want to find ways to eliminate the excess moisture in the home.

To do this, keep the humidity levels below 60 percent, use dehumidifiers, dry any wet areas you have within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth, and fix any leaks you may have around the home.

Mold and Staining

Mold and mildew can cause discoloration and staining on the walls and other surfaces of the home that are affected. These ugly and unsightly marks can also penetrate surfaces, so you need to kill the mold's roots underneath the surface.

To get rid of mold stains on the wall, you can use a solution of one part bleach with three parts water in a spray bottle. Saturate the area with the staining and open a window for some ventilation as you clean the area.

The bleach needs to be left to soak into the walls for several minutes before you use a scrub brush to start removing the unsightly stains.

If the stains appear to be too deep, then you may need to repeat this process several times to remove all the staining and discoloration the mold has caused.

Calling in the Experts

If you have experienced significant water damage, then you may want to call in a professional restoration team to come and help mitigate the cleanup process. When there is water damage, it is important to start the cleanup process immediately to help prevent the growth of mold and mildew in the home.

A professional team has the specialized equipment and knowledge that is needed to clean up the water completely and limit the amount of damage it causes. If you are in need of this level of service, don't hesitate to contact the experts at Renew Restoration.

Share this Post: