Indoor air quality is important. Most people spend a lot of their time inside their home to relax, socialize, or sleep. Minor changes in indoor air quality can have an impact on your quality of life, and big changes can harm your health or even put you in immediate danger. While minor air pollutants like dust levels and pet dander can irritate your nose, major pollutants like the ones that follow need addressing right away.
Asbestos was a popular insulation for many decades. Asbestos is a natural fibrous mineral that’s good at trapping heat, and as a mineral, it’s also good at protecting homes from fires. However, asbestos will also tend to break apart with age, and tiny particles of the mineral can become lodged in the lungs and lead to cancer. This fact is why asbestos is no longer used for home insulation, but even now there are many older homes and businesses that still have asbestos hiding behind the walls and floating in the air.
Radon is a naturally occurring gas that happens to be radioactive. It’s not a big danger in small doses, but in some areas, it can seep up through a foundation and spread into the house above. The solution is a fairly simple pipe system that can channel the radon up through a home and out above the roof, but many homes that could use this simple chimney have never been tested for radon levels. If you live in an area with a radon risk, you should have someone inspect your basement for radon levels.
3. Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas. It can replace oxygen in your bloodstream and end your life, and the only symptoms you’ll notice will be fatigue and a headache. Carbon monoxide is produced in your home’s furnace and dryer, and normally that shouldn’t be a problem thanks to proper ventilation. However, sometimes vents can become damaged or start to leak, allowing carbon monoxide to fill your home instead. Regular inspections and carbon monoxide sensors can detect the problem before it can threaten your life.
4. Mold Spores
Mold spores are constantly in the air around you. That’s how mold can start to grow just about anywhere as long as it has some moisture to draw on. For the most part, these spores are harmless, but if black mold starts growing in your home it can lead to respiratory problems like a runny nose, coughing, headaches, and constant sneezing. Mold is a sign that you need to clean your home, and if that doesn’t work you should bring in experts to find where the mold is growing and remediate the problem.
At Renew Restoration, we help clients in our region by fixing and remodeling homes after a disaster like flooding, fire, and serious damage. We can also help you locate a problem like a mold growth by testing your home’s air quality and then fixing any water leaks and cleaning up the mold. Check out our services today to learn more, and keep in mind that we can provide emergency cleanup services.