For both residential and commercial buildings, indoor air quality is important. After all, people spend a lot of time in their homes when they relax and sleep, and if they have a full-time job they need to spend at least 40 hours per week at their place of work. Indoor air is free of a lot of pollutants like car emissions and pollen, but then there are other chemicals and contaminants that can make it hard to breathe. You may want to test your air quality to see if you have the following problems.
Homes are full of fans and vents that allow air to circulate through the building and remove bad air like the hot and humid air of a shower, the smoke and steam that comes out of your oven, and the radon gas that can seep into your basement from below. However, sometimes these vents can become blocked because of obstacles, infestations, or physical damage. When that happens, the humid, smoky, or dangerous air will spread through your home instead of leaving it. That’s why good ventilation is essential.
Asbestos is a kind of mineral fiber, and people used it as home and business insulation for decades. It’s an effective insulator and it’s fireproof, but over time it also creates a lot of tiny particles that can enter your lungs and cause cancer. That’s why no one uses asbestos insulation in modern buildings, but there are still a lot of commercial and residential structures full of asbestos insulation. The reason the insulation is still there is that asbestos usually isn’t dangerous unless it’s disturbed, but it’s sometimes hard to know if that happens without checking for airborne asbestos.
Humidity is good for your skin and good for trapping heat in the air. However, a hot and humid interior can make it hard to breathe, and if the air cools down the humidity will turn into condensation on every cool surface. Condensation is all that mold needs to grow, and so you’ll often find colonies of mold growing on or around basement pipes. Humidity on its own isn’t a serious health problem, but it can lead to other issues.
Mold spores are everywhere and almost impossible to avoid. However, while breathing a small number of spores isn’t a problem, a large concentration of black mold spores can lead to regular coughing, a runny nose, sneezing, and other respiratory issues. Because of this, it’s important to keep your bathrooms clean and cut down the mold growth, and you should inspect your basement and attic regularly to check for mold growth.
For many indoor air quality problems, you can solve them yourself by buying an air filter, a dehumidifier, or a set of cleaning products that can handle mold growth. Other times your air quality will go down because a disaster hit your building and you need some serious repairs and restoration to get things back to how they used to be. If that’s the case, Renew Restoration can help make your building livable again.